Sunday, September 13, 2015

I'm Glad I Sacrificed Worldly Pursuits...

5/4/2015
 
Dear Mama and Papi,

This was a week of rejection. Sometimes you get used to it, but other times not so much. It was a downer to myself and my companion since we finished the week with a good amount of rejection ("Soy Católico" is the common response.), but it happens. 
 
We had interviews with President Garcia this week, so thankfully we know it what areas we should be working in so that we can pick things up. Truthfully, it was humbling, since the sorrow we felt wasn't because things were pretty lame. It was like the sorrow that God himself must have felt. The two of us felt this especially when we encountered a family that the Hermanas before us had visited. The mother recently had a baby and had a wonderful family, but the excuse was put up that they were already Catholic, and then her mother came in. Very respectfully, we were given the same excuse, with the supposed claim that they already knew what we taught. (Though, I asked the question if they knew just what message we taught, and they responded no.) Though, we insisted and tried to be persuasive, it lead to nowhere, so we said goodnight and headed home. 
 
It was disappointing and sometimes I wonder why people just can't give the opportunity at eternal happiness a try. They're losing blessings and their family (To be frank.), but I can answer these questions for myself. I know all the reasons, and it's frustrating sometimes. (Okay, maybe a lot of the time. Haha.) But it just means that it's an opportunity for us to be more bold. We know that the heart's of men will steadily grow harder as time progresses towards the second coming of the Savior, so that just means that we'll have to fight harder as well and take those who will respond to the invitation to come unto Christ and be perfected in Him. (See Moroni 10) 
 
It's a very interesting time to be a missionary, and I'm glad I sacrificed worldly pursuits (Well, let's face it. We all know I didn't want to go to college just yet. Haha.) to serve the Lord these 2 years. It's helped me to come to know just where I stand amongst the billions or however many people in this world. It's helped me to know what I really desire to achieve. I don't have to give up the things I've come to love. (I've always said it. I will be buried with my guitar. Ridiculous, but you get what I'm expressing.) They're just not as important anymore. Family is important. Keeping covenants is important. Helping others to achieve the happiness that comes from the only true and living church upon the face of the earth (Namely The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. If you don't know if it's true, you haven't asked or haven't made the effort to know.) is important. 


Yeesh. Sounds like competition is picking up. I fear for my job security. But I'm glad you were able to have success! (Just know that when I finish my mission, I will politely refuse to work Sundays. My Sabbath Day observance before wasn't too great beforehand and I can't let it go down after I finish. It's a huge problem that's occurring in the church at the moment, hence Elder Nelson's final talk this past conference.) Ooh! Something that I forgot to mention is that this month, we have the opportunity to hear from Elder Bednar and Elder Arnulfo Valenzuela (Conselor in the Mexico Area Presidency), so be expecting details regarding that in the near future. Well, that's all I have to say about that. Till next week! (Or should I say, till Sunday! :) 


Love, Elder Manuel Antonio Santos


PS, I believe the time difference is two hours, so I'm gonna try to Skype you guys at like 4 O'clock Pacific time. Please be patient (Super patient) if I don't get on right at that hour. Haha. Also, If in an email you could send me pictures of my band, that'd be cool. My zone leader is a rocker from Chihuahua (Technically Sinaloa, but right now he's living in Juarez.) who's band played a lot of Beatles, so I'd like to show him pictures of mine. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment